Sunday, April 02, 2006

Long time, no post

Just a quickie just in case our dear reader was beginning to wonder if I'd been on a diet due to the lack of postings here. 'Twas not the case. I've still got a couple of draft postings from January I might yet finish off but in the mean time, an update.

So what has been happening in the kitchen of late? Besides a regular trip to The Place at Camber Sands (I fear that's something like 4 times now), yesterday was a mammoth bread session; seven loaves of bread from five different recipes: 3 loaves of ciabatta, 1 each of pain de campagne with a rye starter and then a plain flour starter, and 1 each of sourdough, again one made from rye starter and one from a plain starter. I did the last four loaves as a comparison to see the effect of different starters. Can't say I saw much difference in the liveliness of the starters in the preceeding 24 hours. Now I've got to eat the bread to compare them.

The ciabatta loaves were an attempt at a new recipe from Peter Reindhert's Breadmaker's Apprentice book. For a first try at ciabatta I was impressed. Looked the part and tasted it too. Might post pictures here if I get chance.


We also got a few days away on the north Norfolk coast and managed to pick up some flour from Letheringset mill. Not quite enough to last until our next visit, but enough to surprise the woman serving. 12kgs of strong flour, similar of French T55 and some rye. Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home